Thursday, April 17, 2014

steamy banana cake

so I'm taking my blog in a different direction now, there'll still be posts about my ongoing cancer appointments and my life in general but I'm going to focus it on my cooking and thermomix escapades.

So here's the first installment of Kirby's Not Drunk Kitchen. (Youtube 'My Drunk Kitchen' for a few laughs)

I've had a Tupperware microwave steamer for a couple of years now and I hardly used it, I bought it after we got back from Bali and trying their steamed pandan and coconut cakes. Naturally I never made any.
Well I found a recipe for a steamed banana and coconut cake and thought what better time to try it than now as all the work would be done by Herman (my thermomix) with a little help from me.

Now I tweaked the original recipe a little so here's the original Thermomix Community recipe.

These cakes were so moist and full of flavour, I'm going to track down some pandan extract and try them again.


Steamed Banana and Coconut Cakes

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes

Makes approximately 12 cupcake size portions

  • 75g butter
  • 2 very ripe bananas
  • 1 ripe banana cut into thick slices
  • 1 egg
  • 100g raw sugar
  • 160g coconut milk (or any type of milk; cows, nut, soy etc)
  • 160g self raising flour    
  1. Melt butter in TM 40 sec, 50 deg, speed 4
  2. Add the 2 bananas, egg, milk and sugar to bowl, 5 sec, speed 6 until combined with butter, scrape down sides and mix again if necessary
  3. Add flour, 4-5 sec, speed 4 until combined, scrapes sides again if necessary.
  4. Position moulds or silicone muffin tray in Varoma, place slices of banana in each cup and pour over cake batter.
  5. Clean TM bowl and add 900g water. Position Varoma over the lid.
  6. Cook Varoma temp, 25 minutes, speed 1 or until skewer comes out clean. 
Great served warm with a caramel sauce or coconut custard. Fabulous cold too. 


 I used my square ramekins in the Tupperware microsteamer, cut the cooking time down the 14 minutes as the ramekins were smaller. I'd already 'tested' one for quality control at this stage :)

                                                     End result of the Tupperware cakes

the Tupperware silicone cake form in the Varoma at the end of cooking. This form is a large muffin form so if using silicone cupcake moulds they would be a bit smaller.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Do you know if you can use the Tupperware ramekins in the varoma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica, I am yet to try but I think you can. The silicone muffin form is a Tupperware one and worked fine in the Varoma.

      Delete