Friday, May 16, 2014

Banana, raspberry and walnut cake

I've been a bit lacking in the baking department lately but I had some bananas that were past the point where I enjoy eating them so I though't I'd whip up a banana cake. I didn't want just a plain banana cake or bread though so I found a recipe on the Thermomix community; tweaked it slightly and boy was it tasty.

Kirby's Banana, Raspberry and Walnut Cake w/ Maple Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients

  • 130 g softened unsalted butter (or if you are using salted then omit the salt later on)
  • 120 g raw sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 medium bananas
  • 300 g Self Raising Flour
  • 1/2 tsp Bi Carb Soda
  • 4 Tbs Milk or Buttermilk
  • chopped walnuts (adjust to preference) plus extra to decorate
  • pinch of salt
  • frozen raspberries (adjust to preference)
  • 250 g block of softened cream cheese
  • 75 g softened unsalted butter
  • 40 g maple syrup (I never use imitation syrup as it tastes disgusting)
  • 2 C icing sugar (adjust to how sweet you like it)
Method

Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
Grease and line your cake pan.
Mix sugar for 10 seconds on speed 9.
Add butter and cream on speed 5 for 10 seconds.
Mix again on speed 5 and add one egg at a time for about 10 seconds.
Add bananas and mix again for about 10 seconds.
Add flour, salt, bi-carb soda and milk and mix for 20 seconds on speed 5.
Add chopped walnuts and mix on  counter-clockwise operation speed 4 for 10 seconds or until just combined. 
Pour half the batter into cake pan and spread to cover the base.
Dot as many frozen raspberries as you want to use around the mix then pour remaining batter over the top and evening it out.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack.

Icing

I made my icing using Gertie (Kitchenaid mixer) but you could do this in your Herman too. Just pop the cream cheese, butter and syrup into the bowl and mix speed 6 until smooth, you may have to stop a couple of times and scrape the bowl to make sure it all gets mixed. Add half the icing sugar and mix again until smooth, add last cup of sugar and mix again.  
Once the cake is completely cooled spread over your icing and top with extra chopped walnuts. 

I forgot to set the timer when I put this in the oven so 30 minutes is a rough guess on how long it will take.





No comments:

Post a Comment